Pregnant women are generally aware of some common symptoms such as morning sickness, back ache, fatigue, constipation, itching, swollen feet etc. However, blurred vision is a type of symptom which many women may not be aware of. There is no specific time frame of pregnancy during which it occurs, as it is mainly caused because of the fluctuating levels of hormone in the body.
In most of the cases, the vision returns to the previous normal state, after delivery. However, even if these changes in eyesight are quite common during and post pregnancy, it is important to know the causes behind them, so that they can be treated as required.
Described below are the reasons for blurred vision during pregnancy and ways to handle them, which will enable you to maintain your eye health.
What Causes Blurred Vision During Pregnancy?
There are multiple reasons as to why pregnant ladies experience a hazy vision.
- The most prominent reason is pregnancy hormones. They cause fluid retention which alters the cornea to make it thicker, along with an increase in the fluid pressure within the eyeball. This results in a blurred vision. Another effect of these hormones is that they decrease the tear production which in turn diminishes the acuity of vision.
- Expecting mothers with other health conditions such as preeclampsia or gestational diabetes can also suffer from vision problems. Apart from blurry vision, the former condition can cause light sensitivity, temporary vision loss, auras and flashes of light. And, the latter health issue can cause alterations in the cornea and even damage the retina. So the blood sugar levels should be monitored regularly and if distorted vision persists, a physician should be consulted immediately.
- Even increased progesterone levels during pregnancy can cause the tissues of cornea to soften. This can also lead to unclear or doubled vision.
How to Deal With Blurry Vision?
So, if you or someone you know is pregnant and is experiencing blurred vision during pregnancy, here’s what can be done.
- It’s best to avoid contact lenses during pregnancy as there are multiple and intensive changes going on in the body due to the hormones. One of them is a change in the shape of the corneas. Hence, the contacts may become an incorrect fit and eventually cause irritation and stress. So it’s wise to choose glasses instead. Go for a cheaper pair of glasses because the eye power might alter again in the course of pregnancy.
- Eye exercises are also a good way. Consult a professional ophthalmologist and he/she can suggest some simple and effective exercises which help the eyes to focus better. An important thing to remember is to never stress your eyes in such situations. Avoid looking at digital screens continually for long and never read or work in poorly lighted surroundings.
- Above all, do not forget to rest your eyes. A good sleep provides sufficient rest to the eyes, which helps a lot in maintaining a healthy vision.
As your body heals after delivery, the vision also tends to turn normal in a matter of few weeks. If it still persists for long, make sure to consult an eye doctor. You can also go for a vision corrective surgery like Lasik, if you want to get rid of glasses or contact lenses. However, the doctor may prescribe it before you conceive, or a few months later, post-delivery. Lasik is a safe, reliable and cost-effective procedure which can give you a normal and clear vision.
Our expert team at InSight Vision Center can help you understand better about what you may expect in terms of vision changes, when you are expecting a baby. And also guide you to maintain a healthy vision as much as possible. So, make an appointment with us today.
Aaron Barriga is the online marketing manager for Insight Vision Center. With a knack for understanding medical procedures, and an interest in eye and vision health, Aaron loves to share what he knows and what he learns. He blogs to inform readers about the latest eye care technology and other topics related to eye care, especially LASIK.