It is important to take care of your eyes. Sometimes you may experience eye defects like astigmatism, bifocal vision, nearsightedness and farsightedness. LASIK eye surgery is a surgical procedure used to correct eye defects. Here are some precautions which you need to take before, during and after surgery.
Before LASIK surgery
- To ascertain if you are a good candidate for LASIK, an eye examination must be performed. In order to have a good surgery you will have to stop wearing contact lenses weeks before the evaluation by the surgeon. Wearing contact lenses changes the shape of your cornea.
- You must not wear soft contact lenses for up to two weeks before the surgery.
- Toric lenses or gas permeable lenses must not be worn for up to three weeks before the surgery.
- Hard lenses must be stopped four weeks before the surgery.
- You must tell the surgeon about your medical history and any medication you are allergic to. Discuss with the doctor about the outcome of the surgery and the precautions to take.
- Stop using perfumes, makeup, lotions and creams day before the surgery. Make arrangements to travel to and from the surgery centre.
During the Surgery
- The lasik surgery procedure lasts for 30 minutes. During the surgery a mechanical microkeratome or laser keratome will be used. Your vision may be reduced or you might have some sort of pain during the surgery. Your vision may be blurred you will have to stare at a light for about 60 seconds. You are not the right candidate for LASIK if you cannot stare at this light for 60 seconds.
- A shield will be placed over your eye at the end of the surgery. You must wear it.
- You must not work on the day of the surgery.
After the Surgery
You must have transportation available to take you home after the surgery. You will have some pain in your eye after the surgery but you must not rub the eye or touch it. You must take plenty of rest. Take some days off from work, university or school. If the pain increases and you feel a lot of tenderness in the eye please contact the surgeon. You must see the doctor twenty within four to forty eight hours after the surgery. You must also visit the doctor for the first six months at regular intervals after the procedure.
You will be given eye drops to lubricate your eyes. You must use these eye drops. Any medication to reduce pain and antibiotics must also be taken. Take precautions to prevent eye infections. You must wear sun glasses to protect your eyes from the harmful effects of sun light and dust. Don’t watch television or use computers for up to twenty four to forty eight hours after the procedure. Avoid drinking alcohol for a couple of weeks after the surgery. Don’t use contact lenses until your eye heals and also follow your doctor’s advice. Don’t take a shower for twenty four to forty eight hours after the procedure and after that take a bath instead of the shower.
You should not work for some weeks after the procedure. You must wait for up to four weeks before indulging in any sports. Don’t use creams, lotions and eye make up for up to two weeks after the procedure. Do not indulge in swimming activities, hot tubs or whirlpools two to three months after the procedure. Contact your doctor if there is pain and heaviness in your eyes.
Taking care of your eyes is very important to avoid complications before and after the LASIK surgery. If there is any problem with your eyes then you must consult your surgeon immediately. You must follow the advice of your doctor and your eyes will be healthy and your vision will be restored after LASIK.
If you want to learn more about LASIK, please contact our experienced eye surgeons at InSight Vision Center by calling 559-449-5050