Eye twitching is a pretty common phenomena that involves an involuntary spasm of the muscles
in the eyelid. It typically lasts for a few seconds or minutes. It can come and go over a few days
Here are 7 reasons for an eye twitch:
- Stress, Fatigue and Lack of Sleep
Our bodies react differently to stress and can result in eye strain. Fatigue and lack of
sleep again can result in a twitching eye.
Alcohol consumption can take a toll on your health and can result in muscle exhaustion
making your eye twitch at times.
- Dry Eye
People, who wear contact lenses and take medication are more prone to dry eyesyndrome. Dry eyes often result in eye twitching.
- Eye Strain
Spending a lot of time in front of computer screens and continuous use of technology can
lead to an eye twitch. You should schedule an eye exam as you may need to get an eye
check up done, especially for those of you who wear glasses.
Middle-aged women may experience eye twitching due to a nerve disorder which
involves frequent muscle contraction.
- Allergies and Irritation
Foreign particles such as dust, smoke and chemicals can result in swelling, itching and
watery eyes and all of those can make your eye twitch at times.
- Nutritional Imbalance
There is a possibility of getting an eye twitch due to lack of magnesium in your diet.
Tips to Get Relief
- Sleep properly for 6-8 hours
- Ditch the coffee and avoid caffeine
- Massage your eyelids
- Put an ice pack with a few drops of chamomile or rose oil on to get some releif from your
- Drinking chamomile or lavender tea can help alleviate stress and relax your eye twitch
When is it Time to Consult a Doctor?
A twitching eyelid may not require immediate medical attention. However, persistent spasms
may indicate a brain or nervous system disorder. If you have any of the following symptoms, you
should consult your doctor:
- Swollen red eye that may have some uncommon discharge
- Drooping upper eyelid
- Every time your eyelid twitches, your eyelid completely closes
- Twitching for several days
- Twitching infects other body parts
Eye health is a vital part of your well-being. If you want to ditch the twitch and are looking for a
trusted eye doctor in Fresno, call us on 559-449-5050.